Jämsänkoski Sawmill and Mill Company
Jämsänkoski såg och qvarnverksaktionbolag 1792 - 1887

The first industrialists of Jämsänkoski were Surveyor Gustaf Jakob Jack and Major Henrik Kihlström. The two men established a two-frame sawmill at the western branch of the rapids and were granted a sawing licence in 1796. The sawmill owners had come to the area from elsewhere; Jack moved to Jämsä in 1788 from Kontiolahti and Kihlström in 1792 from Myrskylä. Apparently at Kihlström's initiative, some of the sawmill's skilled employees, sågdrängar, also moved from Myrskylä to Jämsänkoski in 1808.

At the end of the century, the sawmill was owned by Captain Lars Falck. He owned several sawmills and estates around Loviisa, including in Myrskylä. Falck started taking sawn boards to Anianpelto on waterways, and from there on to Loviisa for sale. After Falck, the Jämsänkoski sawmill was in the ownership of his heirs for around ten years, until it was sold to Israel Sucksdorff and Anders Sundman from Loviisa in 1843. Honorary Commercial Counsellor Sucksdorff was one of the most notable merchants in Loviisa. Sundman's other business interests included ship ownership. In their time, the superintendent of Jämsänkoski sawmill was Bertel Gabriel Nyström, and its bookkeeper Sven Emil Barck. By the turn of the 1880s, the sawmill company already had several partners.

Raikonhaara in Patalankoski rapids during flooding in 1895. Pappila mill on the left.Traders in the coastal areas of the Gulf of Finland competed over the timber markets of Päijänne in the 1800s. The Jämsänkoski sawmill and hydropower also aroused the interest of businessman Elieser Johansson, who owned several sawmills. He wanted to expand his business operations and purchased the sawmill complete with its site in 1887. With his business partner Per B. Köhlin he decided to augment operation of his sawmill by the rapids with industrial manufacture of paper and pulp.